The Broadmoor Family Worship Center Church of God originated from a series of cottage prayer meetings held in North Nashville in
1917. These prayer meetings were conducted in the home of John R. Hamilton on the corner of Delta and Taylor Streets.
Two years later an old store building was rented at 812 17th Avenue North, and the church worshipped on the
second floor of this building for almost a year.
In the spring of 1921, under the leadership of the pastor, Reverend Thad A. Richards, the church
purchased and moved into a beautiful frame church building at 1414 Jo Johnston Avenue. This property was purchased on April 8, 1921.
Soon the membership of the Jo Johnston Church of God had reached the goal of one hundred and forty members.
Two years later, in 1923, the Church of God suffered a setback as a deep split occurred over the issues with the General Overseer,
A. J. Tomlinson. In Nashville, some members stayed with the local church, and others gave their loyalty to Tomlinson. This latter group
retained the rights to the property on Jo Johnston Avenue.
Ten years later the Church of God was reorganized in a tent on Foster Street in East Nashville.
Reverend Frank A. Hubble was the evangelist. On July 4, 1934, State Overseer M. P. Cross,
set the church in order with twenty-five members. This was the 100th church in the Church of God.
On March 18, 1936, a parcel of property on the corner of Meridian and Berry Streets was purchased by the church.
In the Fall of that year, construction was started on the Berry Street Church of God sanctuary. Services were held in this
one-room breeko block building for approximately nineteen years.
During the next few years, additional construction was completed on the property. A brick veneer parsonage was built,
the breeko block church building was remodeled, central heating was installed, and the basement for a new
sanctuary was erected. Approximately fifty-five hundred dollars was raised for the construction of
a new building.
In 1956, under the leadership of Marshall Roberson, the Meridian Street Church of God erected a new sanctuary
on the property. Church services were held in this building for almost twenty years. On
March 12, 1975, the Meridian and Berry Street property was sold. A larger facility that included the sanctuary, Sunday School rooms, kitchen, baptistry, and gymnasium had been built
on Broadmoor Drive under the direction of Pastor Wayne Proctor.
The dedication services of the Broadmoor Church of God began on May 21, 1976, and continued for three days.
It was a very joyous occasion. Speakers included several former pastors of the church. With much reminiscing, honor was given
to all who had had a part in establishing the Church of God in Nashville.
Starting in 1991 and ending in 1992, Reverend Lonnie Gable led the building program that added the Hoyt and Polly Elliot Annex to the sanctuary at Broadmoor.
It was dedicated on January 25th and 26th, 1992.
Today, our Pastor is leading the Broadmoor Church, with it's dedicated and talented people, to greater things in the Lord.